Thursday, February 26, 2009

Joyschool, Values Parenting, and the Eyres

I went to the most amazing parenting fireside/discussion last Sunday. It was quite a drive, just above the zoo, but so nice to get out, have a break, and talk about our most important calling in life - being parents and teaching kids. It was actually titled, "Raising Great Children in a Daunting World." Amazing! It was taught by Richard and Linda Eyre. The Eyres are so amazing! They truly are wonderful, kind, fun, humble people. I don't know who is or isn't familiar with there many bestselling books and with Joyschool. If you aren't, hop on one of their websites http://www.valuesparenting.com/ and http://www.theeyres.com/ check them out! They are truly gifted in the area of parenting. They invented Joyschool, which I did when I was little, along with several other programs such as "The Happy Family" and "Teaching Kids Values" Every single piece of information is wonderful. They are also very warm and friendly people.
We all discussed several things such as teaching your children how to set and reach goals, how to talk to your kids about sex (funnily our very favorite part by the way - there's a ton of info on the website, as well as a dialogue coaching you along this important discussion. They also wrote a book about it, and the older parent there that had read it all raved about it and about their experiences with their own children during this very special and important conversation), teaching kids values, leading by example, etc. Tons of information and the discussion really just took off!
At the discussion I felt like I was just a part of their huge family because they truly took me in, taught me, listened to my questions, concerns, and opinions, and also shared tons of knowledge, wisdom, and insight with me. They have apparently done several of these firesides, and I was so bummed I didn't find out about them earlier! But they are having one more, the last Sunday in March. They bumped up the time because this one is going to be more geared towards children under 8. They provide childcare there if you need to take your kids. The topic is "Teaching Your Children Joy." Going to see them speak would be an amazing opportunity for anyone - they speak all over the world and are very well-known.
Wes came with me to this "Eyreside" (non-denominational by the way). I think he came to be with me more than to actually go, even though he was curious. But he loved it, he's visited their website several times this week, and talked about them daily since. He was in utter and total awe of them - they are really that neat. We are so excited to instigate some of these new things on our family, read the books, set goals together, and have these resources for our entire parenting career.
I also noticed that their book, "Teaching Children Values" is $4 on Amazon right now! It's really a great book, I am reading it right now.
I just thought I'd throw all this out there for anyone who wanted to know. I am definitely planning of going next month, and I truly cannot wait! So grab you hubby or a girlfriend and meet us there. You will absolutely love it!
Love, Megan Stewart

No comments: